Maintenance Tips for Your Heating and Cooling System
Your heating and cooling system keeps you feeling comfortable inside your home in any kind of weather. Furnaces keep you warm during the cold winter and air conditioners prevent you from getting too hot during summer months. While these systems typically work without much effort on your part, some regular maintenance is needed to keep your heating and cooling system working efficiently.
As a leading HVAC company serving the St. Louis area, Galmiche & Sons has years of extensive experience performing basic maintenance and care for all types of heating and cooling systems. We are dedicated not only to providing excellent HVAC services, but also to offering helpful information to assist you in keeping your heating and cooling devices fully operational. For more information about our heating and air conditioning repair and maintenance services, give us a call today.
Basic Heating and Cooling System Maintenance Checklist
There is some regular cleaning and maintenance that you may be able to do yourself to keep your heating and cooling system working properly. The list below includes some regular maintenance that can help keep your system in optimal shape. For a more thorough inspection and cleaning or if you would rather trust the professionals to keep your system running smoothly, contact us today.
- Regular cleaning: Your heating and cooling system has filters that need to be cleaned or replaced regularly. Dirty filters raise your energy bill because your system works doubly hard to provide ventilation. If you are unsure of how to do this, ask your HVAC maintenance provider how to remove and replace the filters so that you can do it on your own.
- Inspect wire connections: Loose connections are unsafe and can lead to system failure. Therefore, it is important that you check all electrical connections of your heating and cooling system.
- Lubricate moving parts: You want to keep the moving parts of your heating and cooling system well-lubricated to increase efficiency and prevent breakdowns. Oiling and lubricating parts regularly will help to avoid early wear-and-tear of your system.
- Unclog the drains: Inspect the drains of your heating and cooling system to make sure that there is no water stuck in the system. Water overflow from air conditioners can cause damage to your house and your HVAC system.
- Check system operation: In order to maintain safe operation of your heating and cooling system, you should check its controls regularly. Verify that the starting cycle of your unit functions properly and that your unit is running efficiently.
Cooling System Care & Maintenance
- Maintain cleanliness: It is important to check your outside air conditioner unit regularly and clean when necessary. Trim away overgrown bushes or weeds and keep condenser and evaporator coils clean at all times. Clean air conditioning coils will keep your unit running efficiently and prevent electric usage spikes. This will also ensure that your air conditioning unit will last longer.
- Check refrigerant levels: Make sure that your air conditioning unit has the right amount of refrigerant and adjust if necessary. If this is below the regular level or if it is too much, you run the risk of damaging your heating and cooling system. It can also cause your system to run less efficiently increasing your energy consumption.
- Adjust the blower: Keep the blower components clean and adjust your blower if necessary to maintain regular airflow. Air flow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
Heating System Care & Maintenance
- Hazard check: Your heating system is composed of various parts that can cause fire and health problems if not maintained properly. Regularly check the heat exchanger, burner combustion, gas pressure, and gas connections to maintain efficiency and promote home safety.
Contact Galmiche & Sons for Heating and Cooling System Service in St. Louis
While there are a number of things that you can do on your own to keep your heating and cooling system running efficiently. It is advisable that you get help from HVAC system experts to ensure the most efficient and optimal function of your system. At Galmiche & Sons, we recommend annual cooling systems maintenance in the spring before the peak cooling season and furnace maintenance in the fall before the peak heating season. As St. Louis heating and cooling experts, we can provide you with annual or bi-annual heating and cooling maintenance to ensure that the level of comfort in your home is excellent all year round.
Call us now for all of your heating and air conditioning maintenance needs.